Friday, September 4, 2015

Licensure Information

Thank you for your interest in the Churchill County School District. This information is supplied as a courtesy to the applicant. In order to receive a Teaching or an Administrative contract, the applicant must hold a valid license in the State of Nevada. Responsibility for securing, maintaining and reviewing licenses rests solely with the professional employee. If you have any questions, please contact: Office of Teacher Licensure Nevada State Department of Education 700 East Fifth Street Capitol Complex Carson City, NV 89710 (775) 687-9115 LICENSURE AND RECIPROCITY: Nevada has conditional reciprocity with some states and the Nevada Department of Education will evaluate a license issued by another state. The license must correspond to the standards established by the Professional Standards Commission of Nevada to include completion of an approved teacher education program as well as a degree consistent to what is required in Nevada. Nevada does not accept provisional, multi-subjects or emergency licenses issued by other states, nor does it accept Peace Corps internships in lieu of student teaching. Licensure is mandatory for all teachers in Nevada and it is the teacher's responsibility to obtain and maintain appropriate licensure from the State of Nevada prior to employment. INITIAL LICENSURE - PROCEDURE TO FOLLOW WHEN APPLYING: 1. The application for licensing and additional forms may be obtained from the Office of Teacher Licensure of the State Department of Education in Carson City. For information, call them at (775) 687-9115 or access their website at 2. An applicant should prepare the following when applying: > Official transcripts of all credits completed above high school > Fingerprinting > Evaluation fee of $155 to cover issuance of a license within a year, which is non refundable. (Do not send/bring cash-only personal check or money orders are acceptable). LICENSING INFORMATION FOR NEW TEACHERS IN NEVADA: Licensing Agency: The Nevada State Department of Education is the sole agency authorized to license educational personnel for service in State approved schools. All licensed educational personnel are required to be United States citizens or submit proof of having been given permanent resident alien status issued by the United States Office of Immigration and Naturalization Service Applicants may be required to take the following competency tests: > Praxis I: Academic Skills Assessments, Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) > Praxis II: Principles of Learning and Teaching Tests > Praxis II: Subject Assessments/Speciality Area Tests All applicants are required to complete course work in Nevada School Law, Nevada Constitution and United States Constitution and receive passing scores for required competency testing examinations. Those who do not meet these requirements will be issued a provisional license, which allows three years from date of issuance for removal, by either formal course work from an accredited university or college or by examination given each school year by the University of Nevada, Reno. College of Education. Failure to remove these provisions invalidates the license.